Kirtland AFB covers 52,000 acres and employs over 23,000 people, including more than 3,000 active duty and 1,100 Guard and Reserve, 3,400 civil service, 300 nonappropriated fund employees and 12,500 contractors. The base is home to the Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center and 377th Air Base Wing, Kirtland's host organization, which supports more than 100 mission partners.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Markus Maier)
Established on March 31, 2006, the Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center is Air Force Materiel Command's center of excellence for nuclear weapon systems, ensuring safe, secure and reliable nuclear weapons are available to support the National Command Structure and Air Force. The AFNWC's responsibilities include acquisition, modernization and sustainment of nuclear system programs for both the Departments of Defense and Energy. Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center website.
Click here for more information
Air Force Research Laboratory's Space Directed Energy Directorate develops, integrates, and transitions science and technology for directed energy to include high-power microwaves, lasers, adaptive optics, imaging and effects to assure the preeminence of the United States in air and space. Click here for more information.
Air Force Research Laboratory's Space Vehicles Directorate develops and transitions high pay-off space technologies supporting the warfighter while leveraging commercial, civil and other government capabilities to ensure America's advantage. Click here for more information.
• 58th Special Operations Wing, Air Education and Training Command
• Air Force Inspection Agency
• Air Force Office of Special Investigations, Detachment 116
• Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center
• Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps, Detachment 510 (University of New Mexico)
• Air Force Safety Center
• American Red Cross
• Area Defense Counsel
• Battlefield Airmen Training Squadron, Pararescue and Combat Rescue Officer Training School
• Civil Air Patrol, New Mexico
• Defense Logistics Agency Kirtland
• Defense Threat Reduction Agency
• Distributed Mission Operations Center
• Missile Defense Agency
• National Museum of Nuclear Science and History
• National Nuclear Security Administration Albuquerque Complex
• NNSA Sandia Field Office
• Sandia National Laboratories
• Space Rapid Capabilities Office
377th Medical Group
Health and Wellness Center
Kirtland and U.S. government employment
Kirtland Helping Agencies