Summary of new DOD civilian retiree ID guidelines

  • Published

Policy Change: Department of Defense Retired Civilians in possession of a Department of Defense Civilian Retiree ID Card

Effective Date: August 31, 2023


  1.  Department of Defense civilian retiree ID cards are not valid for access to military installations.

In accordance with the Kirtland Installation Defense Plan 31-101, Personnel with the following identification documents listed below are authorized unescorted entry to the installation.

Authorized Personnel for Unescorted Base Access:

All personnel requiring access to the installation must register at least one of the following identification documents in the Defense Biometric Identification System (DBIDS) or obtain a DBIDS ID Card or pass for efficient scanning at Installation Access Control Points (IACPs).

DoD Common Access Cards (CAC):All versions, including active duty, guard/reserve, government-employed civilian, and contractor personnel.

 DD Form 2 series ID Cards: All versions, including active duty, retired, and reserve.

DD Form 1173, Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card: Utilized by family members of active duty and retired military.

DD Form 1173-1, Department of Defense Guard and Reserve Dependent Identification Card


DD Form 2765, Department of Defense/Uniformed Services Identification and Privilege Card

DA Form 1602, Department of the Army Civilian ID Card

General Services Administration (GSA) Forms 277, General Employee Identification, and 22, Employee Identification Credential – General.

REAL ID: Individuals with one of the above identification documents and an active profile in DBIDS may register a REAL ID compliant ID in DBIDS as a secondary means for base access. A REAL ID is only accepted at installation gates when DBIDS is operational. If DBIDS is nonoperational, personnel are required to visit the Truman Visitor Control Center (VCC) for vetting.

Personnel Not Authorized for Unescorted Base Access:

Retired civilians are no longer authorized an OSD-approved and centrally issued credential. Based on local policy, local long or short-term passes are unauthorized solely based on a civilian retiree status.  However, current MWR or FSS memberships, registrations and leases may grant sponsorship to those on base facilities until they expire and at which time they will not be renewed. Contact FSS for further information.