Michael W. Roberts, a member of the Senior Executive Service, is the Director and Program Executive Officer (PEO) for the Space Rapid Capabilities Office (SpRCO), Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. As SpRCO’s senior acquisition officer, Mr. Roberts is responsible for and oversees space-based research, development and acquisition activities for classified space acquisition programs assigned to the SpRCO. In this position, Mr. Roberts serves as the principal advisor to the Secretary of the Air Force and the Chief of Space Operations, United States Space Force for the development and fielding of classified critical space capabilities. In his PEO capacity, he is responsible for the development and delivery of multi-billion dollar Acquisition Category One equivalent programs providing operationally dominant space capabilities that strategically enhance the Nation’s warfighting capabilities and dominance in the space domain.
Mr. Roberts was appointed to the Senior Executive Service in 2017. In his previous position as the Director for Development and Integration, PEO Information Warfare System (IWS), Mr. Roberts managed the system requirements and resources for combat systems, associated elements, and facilitated the execution of effective systems engineering processes for development, integration, and delivery of Navy Surface Combat System capabilities.
Mr. Roberts’ diverse and challenging career spans 25 years in support of the United States Navy, United States Air Force and United States Space Force as a veteran, engineer and acquisition professional. The past fifteen years, his career focus has been on acquisition, combat and weapon system engineering, design, testing, fielding and sustainment. He has held various senior Program Manager positions within the acquisition community.
2004 Bachelor of Science, Engineering Technology, Grantham University, Lenexa, Kan.
2006 Master of Science, Software Engineering, University of Management and Technology, Arlington, Va.
2009 Master of Science, Systems Engineering, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, Calif.
2013 DAWIA Program Management and System Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering
Level III Certifications
1. July 1995 – April 2001, AEGIS Fire Controlman (FC) First Class, USS Port Royal CG 73, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii
2. April 2001 – January 2004, SPY Element Test Engineer, Northrup Grumman IT, Dahlgren, Va.
3. January 2004 – May 2005, DDG 1000 IV&V Engineer, Northrup Grumman IT, Dahlgren, Va.
4. May 2005 – June 2009, Software Certification Senior Systems Engineer, NSWCDD, Tewksbury, Mass.
5. June 2009 – October 2010, DDG 1000 Combat Systems TD, NAVSEA05H, Washington Navy Yard, Washington D.C.
6. October 2010 – August 2013, AEGIS System Engineering / Baseline Development / Strategic Planning Principle Assistant Program Manager, Washington Navy Yard, Washington D.C.
7. August 2013 – March 2015, ZUMWALT Deputy Major Program Manager, Washington Navy Yard, Washington D.C.
8. March 2015 – January 2017, Surface Ships Weapons Duty Major Program Manager, Arlington, Va.
9. January 2017 – February 2019, Director, Development and Integration PEO IWS, Washington Navy Yard, Washington D.C.
10. February 2019 – Present, Director, Space Rapid Capabilities Office, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Navy Meritorious Civilian Service Award
NAVSEA Meritorious Unit Commendation Medal
Secretary of the Navy Acquisition Excellence Award
Navy Achievement Medal with gold star
Unit Commendation Medal with two bronze stars
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND ASSOCIATIONS
Defense Acquisition Corp
(Current as of September 2020)