Colonel Jeremy A. Raley is the Commander of Phillips Research Site and Director of Space Vehicles Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. He leads a team of 1,080 military, civilian, and on-site contractors who comprise the nation's center of excellence for military space science and technology, research and development, as well as advanced technologies integration and demonstration. His organization focuses on enduring United States Space Force space missions: communications; position, navigation and timing; missile warning; space domain awareness; and space control.
Colonel Raley received his commission in 1997 from the United States Air Force Academy. He started his career as a communications officer and transitioned into the developmental engineering career field after his graduate education. He has held a variety of positions in research and development as well as program management.
Prior to his current position, Colonel Raley was the Director of the Strategic Capabilities Group within the Space Rapid Capabilities Office (RCO) at Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. While there, he oversaw space-based research, development and acquisition activities for classified space acquisition programs assigned to the Space RCO and executed by the Strategic Capabilities Group.
1997 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, United States Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2002 Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2005 Doctor of Philosophy, Electrical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
2007 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2013 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. May 1997 – March 1998, Student, 14th Flying Training Squadron, Columbus AFB, Miss.
2. March 1998 – August 2000, Project Engineer, 738th Engineering Installation Squadron, Keesler AFB, Miss.
3. August 2000 – September 2005, Student, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
4. September 2005 – July 2006, Senior Photonics Research Engineer, Air Force Research Laboratory Sensors Directorate, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
5. July 2006 – March 2007, Executive Officer, Air Force Research Laboratory Sensors Directorate, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. March 2007 – May 2008, Advanced Sensor Components Branch Chief, Air Force Research Laboratory Sensors Directorate, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
7. May 2008 – July 2010, Director of Engineering, Rapid Reaction Squadron, Peterson AFB, Colo.
8. July 2010 – January 2011, Combat Plans Special Technical Operations Cell Chief, 609th Air and Space Operations Center, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
9. January 2011 – June 2012, Operations Officer, Rapid Reaction Branch, Peterson AFB, Colo.
10. June 2012 – June 2013, Counterspace Program Element Monitor, Undersecretary of the Air Force for Acquisition Staff, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. June 2013 – July 2014, Deputy Chief of Space Control and Advanced Technology Division, Undersecretary of the Air Force for Acquisition Staff, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
12. July 2014 – June 2016, Materiel Leader Geospatial Intelligence Technology Program Manager, National Reconnaissance Office, Chantilly, Va.
13. June 2016 – July 2018, Research and Development Program Manager, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, Arlington, Va.
14. July 2018 – June 2019, Division Chief, Integrated Experiments and Evaluation, Air Force Research Laboratory Space Vehicles Directorate, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
15. July 2019 – July 2022, Director, Strategic Capabilities Group, Space Rapid Capabilities Office, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
16. July 2022 – Present, Commander, Phillips Research Site, and Director, Space Vehicles Directorate, Air Force Research Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit Defense
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Jan. 01, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel April 01, 2012
Colonel Sept. 01, 2018
(CURRENT AS OF JULY 2022)