KIRTLAND AIR FORCE BASE, N.M. --
Starting Jan. 1, 2020, verified Veterans who hold the Veterans Health ID Card and caregivers with qualified eligibility will be afforded privileges to the commissary, military service exchange and MWR facilities on Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico.
Eligible patrons include Veterans who were awarded the Purple Heart, Veterans who are former prisoners of war, Veterans with service-connected disabilities, and individuals approved and designated as the Primary Family Caregivers of eligible Veterans under the VA Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers.
For this new eligibility KAFB visitors must ensure the following:
- All qualified Veterans/caregivers must FIRST visit the Truman Visitor Control Center and pass a background check prior to enrolling between 6 a.m. and 3 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- Veterans must have been issued a VHIC from the VA.
- VA Caregivers will be mailed a VA letter that mentions their qualifications.
- Caregivers must present a Defense Biometric Identification System, or DBIDS pass issued from the VCC and their caregiver letter to the Entry Controller to be granted installation access
- VHICs will be scanned by DBIDS at the entry control points. If DBIDS is down, they will be directed to the VCC to receive a DBIDS pass.
- VHIC/caregivers will be given 24/7 access to the installation. No sponsor, escort or trusted traveler privileges.
Individuals requiring access can begin going to the VCC Jan. 2, 2020 to get their vehicle registered.
After the access approval, visitors will be allowed to use the, golf course, bowling alley, Mountain View Club, arts and crafts and lodging.
Veterans eligible solely under this act who are not enrolled in or are not eligible to enroll in VA health care, or who are enrolled in VA health care, but do not possess a VHIC will NOT have access to DOD a installations for in-person commissary, exchange, and MWR retail privileges.
377th Force Support Squadron leadership will provide further guidance as it becomes available.
For more information on receiving a VHIC call 877-222-VETS (8387) or visit www.va.gov/healthbenefits/enroll.
To learn more about access procedures or requirements to Kirtland AFB, call the 377th Security Forces Squadron, Pass & Registration at (505) 846-6429.