Jeff Olinger is the Technical Advisor to the Commander, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. He advises the commander and senior staff on strategic resources planning, new and innovative operational test and evaluation methodology relative to the test, and the testing and evaluation of very complex systems. He represents the commander on high-level technical groups and committees composed of personnel from the Department of Defense and industry. His current duties focus on assuring the technical adequacy, credibility, and sufficiency of AFOTEC test programs.
Mr. Olinger began his government career in 1977 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy. He served 30 years active-duty service that included time as a command pilot with more than 4,000 flying hours in the HC/MC-130, T-37, T-38, and C-12 aircraft.
As the senior technical director at AFOTEC, Mr. Olinger provides strategic and technical advice to the commander on test and evaluation issues related to Center policies, processes and products. He verifies critical testing issues are well defined and confirms the Center’s processes are appropriate to address technical adequacy in test concepts, plans, and reports. He also provides guidance to headquarters and detachment technical advisors.
1977 Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, U.S. Air Force Academy. Colorado Springs, Colo.
1981 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala (distinguished graduate)
1985 Air Command and Staff College (seminar)
1987 Master's Degree, Systems Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
1997 Air War College (seminar)
2015 Harvard Kennedy School, Executive Course, Cybersecurity
1. July 1977 - July 1978, student, undergraduate pilot training, Reese AFB, Texas
2. August 1978 - September 1981, T-37 instructor pilot, Reese AFB, Texas
3. October 1981 - April 1982, temporary duty: Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., and C-130, and HC-130 training
4. May 1982 - May 1986, HC-130 combat rescue pilot, 71st Aerospace Rescue and Recovery Squadron, Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
5. June 1986 - April 1988, student, Air Force Institute of Technology (School of Engineering), Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
6. May 1988 - July 1991, analyst/branch chief, Headquarters Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
7. August 1991 - August 1994, Director of Operations, 550th Special Operations Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
8. September 1994 - July 1997, Commander, 314th Recruiting Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
9. August 1997 - December 1999, Deputy Director, Field Operations, Air Force Inspection Agency, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
10. January 2000 – June 2002, Director, Air and Space Mission Directorate, Headquarters, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
11. June 2002 – May 2005, Commander, Detachment 5, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Edwards AFB, Calif.
12. June 2005 – June 2007, Director, National Assessment Group, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
13. August 2008 – present, Technical Advisor to the Commander, Headquarters Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters