The Air Force Laboratory Personnel Demonstration Project (Lab Demo), permitted by Public Law 103-337 dated October 5, 1994, went into effect March 2, 1997. The demonstration affects most Scientists and Engineers (S&Es) at all laboratory operating locations.
Implementation of the demonstration project resulted in several changes to the human resource process:
- A broadbanding system has replaced the current General Schedule (GS) structure. Broadband levels are designed to facilitate pay progression and to allow more competitive recruitment of quality candidates at differing rates within the appropriate broadband levels. Competitive promotions will be less frequent, and movement through the broadband levels will be a more seamless process.
- Broadband Level I (Equivalent to GS-07 through GS-11)
- Broadband Level II (Equivalent to GS-12 and GS-13)
- Broadband Level III (Equivalent to GS-14)
- Broadband Level IV (Equivalent to GS-15)
- Newly hired Lab Demo (regular career) employees are subject to a three-year probationary period, rather than the traditional one-year probationary period under the GS structure.
- The Contribution-based Compensation System (CCS) measures an employee''s contribution to the organization, and salary adjustment decisions are made based on an individual's overall contribution to the organization.
- There are no scheduled Within-Grade Increases as pay progression through the broadband levels is based on CCS assessments and subsequent pay adjustments.
- Special salary rates no longer apply to Lab Demo employees. Employees are eligible for future locality pay increases for their geographical area.
If you would like additional information regarding the demonstration project, please call the Lab Demo Project Office at Kirtland AFB, New Mexico, at (505) 846-4709 / 7349 / 1585.