Colonel George A. Sefzik is the Commander of the 150th Special Operations Wing, New Mexico Air National Guard, Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, N.M. The 150th Special Operations Wing generates ready Airmen in a variety of skilled career fields for state and federal missions. The 150 SOW, as a Total Force Associate unit, in conjunction with the 58th Special Operations Wing, has a federal mission to train combat-ready Personnel Recovery and Special Operations aircrews and sustain a fleet of H/MC-130J, CV-22, HH-60G, and RC-26 aircraft. The wing also supports federal Intelligence, Targeting, Medical, Security, and Homeland Defense missions. The 150th Special Operations Wing’s state mission is to preserve peace and public safety and protect lives and property.
Colonel Sefzik was commissioned at the United States Air Force Academy in 1997. His duty history includes multiple operational flying assignments in Air Force Special Operations Command. He is a command pilot with more than 2,400 hours in the MH-53 and CV-22.
In his previous assignment, Colonel Sefzik served as the Commander of the 27th Special Operations Group to over 1,100 Airmen. The 27 SOG provides combat ready forces to joint force commanders around the world. Airmen of the 27th Special Operations Group perform a variety of
specialized airpower missions including precision strike, ISR, battlefield mobility, helicopter aerial refueling, and other specialized combat support missions.
1997 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2011 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2017 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. July 1997 - April 1998, Executive Officer, 22nd Training Squadron, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
2. April 1998 - February 1999, Student, Training Squadron Three, Whiting Field, Fla.
3. February 1999 - December 1999, Student, 23rd Flying Training Squadron, Fort Rucker, Ala.
4. December 1999 - November 2000, Student, MH-53 Initial Qualification Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
5. November 2000 - October, 2003 MH-53 Aircraft Commander, 21st Special Operations Squadron RAF Mildenhall, U.K.
6. October 2003 - June 2007, Instructor/Evaluator Pilot, 20th Special Operations Sqdn, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
7. July 2007 - July 2008, Student, CV-22 Initial Qualification Course, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
8. July 2008 - July 2010, Assistant Operations Officer, Instructor Pilot, 8th Special Ops Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
9. July 2010 - June 2011, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. June 2011 - December 2013, Operations Officer, 8th Special Ops Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
11. Dec 2013 - Jul 2015, Commander, 27th Special Operations Air Operations Squadron, Cannon AFB, N.M.
12. July 2015 - July 2016, Inspector General, 27th Special Operation Wing, Cannon AFB, N.M.
13. July 2016 - June 2017, Student, Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
14. June 2017 - June 2019, Military Assistant for the Assistant Secretary for Special Operations and Low Intensity
Conflict, OSD SO/LIC, Pentagon, Washington D.C.
15. June 2019 - April 2021, Commander, 27th Special Operations Group, Cannon AFB, N.M.
16. April 2021 - Present, Commander 150th Special Operations Wing, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 2400
Aircraft flown: MH-53J/M, CV-22B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 28, 1997
First Lieutenant May 28, 1999
Captain May 28, 2001
Major Jan. 1, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Dec. 1, 2011
Colonel March 1, 2018
(Current as of April 2021)