Colonel Mark B. Pye is commander of the Air Force Inspection Agency, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. The agency is a diverse team of experts who provide independent inspection, evaluation, oversight, training and analysis to advance continuous improvement of mission effectiveness at all Air Force levels. As the Air Force Inspection System action arm for the Secretary of the Air Force, the agency identifies deficiencies and recommends improvements for accomplishing peacetime and wartime missions and evaluates Air Force activities and policies. The agency also provides by-law and compliance oversight of Air Force-level Field Operating Agencies and Direct Reporting Units and management inspections of above-the-wing level (HAF/MAJCOM/NAF and select FOAs/DRUs).
Originally from Oklahoma, Colonel Pye graduated from the U.S. Air Force Academy in 1994 and earned his wings at Vance AFB, Okla. He then flew KC-10s at McGuire AFB, N.J. from 1996-2000. Progressing through instructor pilot, he flew combat support missions in Operations DESERT STRIKE, SOUTHERN WATCH, and ALLIED FORCE and was selected for the B-2 program in 2001. Colonel Pye forward-deployed in 2003 and flew strike missions in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM. Colonel Pye later commanded the 13th Bomb Squadron “Grim Reapers” participating in Nuclear Surety Inspections and the initial strike missions of Operation ODYSSEY DAWN in 2011. He has subsequently served as an operational test pilot in the B-52. Colonel Pye’s staff experience includes operational plans and requirements at 8th Air Force and recently leading joint teams supporting strategy, operational design, and strategic engagement at U.S. Strategic Command. Prior to his current position, the colonel was Vice Commander, 53d Wing, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
1994 Bachelors of Science, Political Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2000 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2004 Masters of Business Administration, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colo.
2005 USAF Weapons Instructor Course, 715th Weapons Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
2008 USAF Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 USAF School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 National Defense Fellow, Freeman Spogli Institute, Stanford University, Calif.
2017 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, N.C.
1. December 1994-December 1995, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
2. March 1996-December 2000, Multiple roles including KC-10 Instructor Pilot, Assistant Flight Commander,
Flight scheduler, and Operations Group Stan/Eval Copilot, 2d Air Refueling Squadron, McGuire AFB, N.J.
3. January 2001-May 2002, T-38 Stan/Eval Officer/B-2 Qual Training, 394th Combat Training Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
4. May 2002-December 2004, Multiple squadron roles including Flight Commander, B-2 Instructor Pilot, Flight
Commander, Chief of Scheduling, and Chief Plans/Mobility, 393d Bomb Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
5. January 2005-June 2005, Student, USAF Weapons Instructor Course, 715th Weapons Squadron, Whiteman AFB,
6. July 2005- June 2006, Mission Planning Cell Chief, 509th Operations Support Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
7. July 2006 -June 2007, Director of Operations, 509th OSS, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
8. July 2007-June 2008, Student, USAF Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
9. July 2008-June 2009, Student, School of Advanced Air and Space Studies, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
10. July 2009-July 2010, Chief, Operational Plans & Requirements, 8th Air Force Headquarters, Barksdale AFB, La.
11. July 2010-June 2012, Commander, 13th Bomb Squadron, 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
12. July 2012-July 2013, National Defense Fellow, Freeman Spogli Institute, Stanford University, Calif.
13. July 2013-July 2014, Team Lead, Commander's Design Team, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, Neb.
14. July 2014-June 2015, Team Chief, Strategic Engagement Team, USSTRATCOM, Offutt AFB, Neb.
15. July 2015-June 2017, Vice Commander, 53d Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
16. July 2017-Present, Commander, Air Force Inspection Agency, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
July 2013 – June 2015, Team Lead, Commander’s Design Team (J55) and Team Chief, Strategic Engagement Team
(J53), United States Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, NE, as a Lieutenant Colonel and Colonel respectively.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 3,600 hours
Primary Aircraft Flown: KC-10A, T-38A, B-2A, B-52H
Other Aircraft Flown: T-37, F-15D, F-15E, F-16D, HH-60G, B-1B, E-9, QF-4
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with Valor
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with five oak leaf cluster
Combat Readiness Medal
National Defense Service Medal with one bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border
Air Force Longevity Service with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Training Ribbon
"Precision Carpet Bombing with the GBU-38," USAF Weapons Review, Issue 1, Vol. LIV, Spring 2006
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 1, 1994
First Lieutenant June 1, 1996
Captain June 1, 1998
Major August 1, 2004
Lieutenant Colonel July 1, 2009
Colonel October 1, 2014