Colonel Richard W. Gibbs is the 377th Air Base Wing and installation commander at Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. The wing provides highly trained forces in support of the Air Force nuclear enterprise and expeditionary combat forces to combatant commanders, and is responsible for installation security, operations, maintenance and mission support for more than 23,000 military and civilian employees who live and work on Kirtland's 52,000 acres.
The 377th Air Base Wing is the host unit for many mission partners, including the Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center, Air Force Operational Test and Evaluation Center, Air Force Safety Center, Air Force Inspection Agency, Air Force Distributed Mission Operations Center, Defense Threat Reduction Agency, Air Force Research Laboratory, 58th Special Operations Wing, 150th Special Operations Wing of the New Mexico Air National Guard, U.S. Department of Energy, National Nuclear Security Administration and Sandia National Laboratories.
Colonel Gibbs was commissioned into the Air Force through the Reserve Officer Training Corps in 1993. He has served in a variety of organizations, providing maintenance leadership for B-2, B-1, F-15, C-130, C-40, C-37, C-21, C-20 and C-9 aircraft. Colonel Gibbs was also responsible for all maintenance officer training as Director of the Aircraft and Munitions Maintenance Officer Courses. His staff assignments include Pentagon tours, as an Air Force intern in the Joint Staff’s Requirements and Acquisitions Division (J-8) and Headquarters Air Staff’s Weapons Systems Division (A-4), as well as a deployed tour in the Maintenance Operations Division of U.S. Air Forces Central Command–Forward (A-4). Colonel Gibbs has commanded three squadrons and a maintenance group.
1993 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, California State University at Long Beach
1994 Aircraft Maintenance Officers Course, Sheppard AFB, Tex.
1997 Master of Business Administration degree in aviation (with distinction), Embry-Riddle University
1997 Acquisition/Logistics Certification, Level I
2000 Squadron Officer School, non-resident and in-residence programs, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Masters of Arts degree in organizational management, George Washington University
2005 Air Command and Staff College, non-resident program
2007 Master of Arts degree in national security and strategic studies, Naval War College (JPME, Phase I)
2011 Air War College, non-resident program
2013 Master of Arts degree in strategic studies, Air War College (JPME, Phase II)
1. January 1994 - May 1997, F-15 Squadron Maintenance/Logistics Test Officer; then, Avionics Flight Commander, Edwards AFB, Calif.
2. May 1997 - May 2000, Sortie Generation Flight Commander for the 44th Fighter Squadron; then, Assistant Wing Installation Deployment Officer, Kadena Air Base, Japan
3. June 2000 - July 2000, Student, Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
4. August 2000 - May 2002, Staff Officer, Weapons Systems Division, Directorate of Maintenance, Headquarters U.S. Air Force; then, Action Officer, Requirements and Acquisitions Division, Directorate for Force Structure, Resources, and Assessments (J8), Joint Staff, the Pentagon, Wash. D.C.
5. June 2002 - July 2004, Maintenance Operations Officer, 37th Airlift Squadron and 86th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Ramstein AB, Germany
6. July 2004 - July 2006, Director, Aircraft and Munitions Maintenance Officer Courses, 360th Training Squadron, Sheppard AFB, Tex.
7. July 2006 - June 2007, Student, College of Naval Command and Staff, Naval War College, Naval Station Newport, R.I.
8. July 2007 - June 2009, Commander, 509th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo. (February 2009 - May 2009, Commander, 36th Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Andersen AFB, Guam)
9. June 2009 - July 2010, Commander, 509th Maintenance Squadron, Whiteman AFB, Mo.
10. July 2010 - July 2012, Deputy Commander, 86th Maintenance Group, Ramstein AB, Germany
(January 2012 - June 2012, Chief, Maintenance Operations Division, Directorate for Logistics (A4), U.S. Air Forces Central Command (Forward), Al Udeid AB, Qatar)
11. July 2012 - June 2013, Student, Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
12. July 2013 - July 2016, Commander 7th Maintenance Group, Dyess AFB, Tex.
13. July 2016 – June 2017, Deputy Director, Logistics, Engineering and Force Protection, Headquarters Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
14. June 2017 – Present, Commander, 377th Air Base Wing, Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Honorary Chief Master Sergeant, 2016
Air Force Lt Gen Leo Marquez Award, 1998
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant 26 Oct 1993
First Lieutenant 26 Oct 1995
Captain 26 Oct 1997
Major 1 Mar 2004
Lieutenant Colonel 1 Feb 2009
Colonel 1 Oct 2013
(Current as of June 2017)