Personal property

Personal Property

It is important that you contact the Inbound Personal Property Section at the Traffic Management Office as soon as you arrive in the area.

Personal property is defined as household goods, unaccompanied baggage or mobile homes and do-it-yourself moves. The owner must provide the Personal Property Section with a telephone number and a temporary or delivery address in order to arrange for prompt delivery of property.

Temporary storage at government expense for up to 90 days may be authorized if your property arrives before you or, you cannot find suitable living quarters. You may become personally liable for storage and insurance beyond 90 days if you do not notify the Personal Property Section.

The commercial carrier is required to unpack your property at its final destination and place it in the rooms you indicate.

Postal Service

An important item in any move is maintaining uninterrupted mail service. To assist you in this area, there are a few options. First, ask your sponsor to provide you with an advance mailing address no earlier than 90 days prior to your arrival.

If you are a single enlisted member and plan to reside in one of the dormitories, obtain a Postal Service Center box address through your sponsor.

Second, you can call the Postal Service Center at 846-7718 or DSN 246-7718 to obtain a General Delivery mailing address.

Upon arrival, individuals using the general delivery address must come by the Postal Service Center to fill out a locator card with your new address.

The Postal Service Center does not provide money order service, nor do they deliver registered or certified mail. Their primary function is to provide general delivery service to members awaiting a permanent address.

For additional information contact the Postal Service Center at 505-846-7718 or DSN 246-7718.

For other postal needs, Kirtland AFB has a U.S. Post Office at 1400 1st Street Southeast. It is a fully operational post office with express and priority mail, stamps, and rental post office boxes.

Albuquerque Public Schools

For information on Albuquerque Public Schools, call the APS Community Relations office at 881-8421 or visit their Web site at: